Thank you for your interest in supporting The Portes Foundation. Your donation provides seed money to support projects that improve health through research, education, and clinical programs in health maintenance and disease prevention.
Please make your tax-deductible donation payable to The Portes Foundation, and mail it to:
Allan Carroll, President
The Portes Foundation
3 The Court of Harbinger Falls
Northbrook, IL 60062
See how your donation helps build healthy communities.
Click on the years below to view previously funded projects. For more information on any of the projects, please contact the Institute of Medicine of Chicago (IOMC).
- Samuel Dorevitch, MD, MPH, UIC School of Public Health: Hundreds of millions of children die or suffer from malnutrition in low-income, rural areas of the world as a result of insufficient quantities of safe drinking water. A new solar-powered method of treating drinking water worked well in laboratory tests conducted in Kenya. The proposed study is the first to evaluate whether the solar-powered water treatment system shows promise as a way of preventing diarrhea in children.
- Kiran Joshi, M.D., Cook County Department of Public Health and CBS Television: An Education and Outreach Initiative the Promotes Emergency Preparedness, a Preventive Measure, via Television, Digital, Email, and Grassroots Onsite Activities
- Kalman J. Kaplan, Ph.D., UIC College of Medicine: Identifying Longitudinal Psychiatric Risk Factors for Suicide and Suicide Prevention
- Joseph Zander, Ph.D., Advocate Healthcare: Cost effectiveness of Psychologists in Integrated Care: Assessing the Value Added by Integrating Psychological Services into Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Erin Emery-Tiburcio, PhD and Laurin Mack, PhD - Rush University Medical Center."Assess the needs of key stakeholders for a web-based instrument for screening and monitoring of behaviorally and mediated disorders in primary care that accommodates patients with sensory and motor impairments as well as technological naivete."
- Noel Rao, MD - Marioanjoy Rehabilitation Hospital. "The Effectiveness of an Online Course Fro the Interpretation of the Fiberoptic Endoscopic Exam of the Swallow."
- Ena Mahapatra, MD, MS - John H. Stroger, Jr Cook County Hospital to "Describe and test IT innovations for the development and maintenance of a colon cancer screening registry to identify and reach out to patients due for preventive services."
- Dr. Lawrence C. Vogel - Shriners Hospitals for Children, to "Implement a low-cost, interactive, public educational event on 20 college or university campuses in the Chicagoland area to combat America's distracted driving epidemic by increasing awareness of the dangers of distracted driving and facilitating education and advocacy efforts aimed at changing behaviors and making our roads safer."
- Michael Robert Kozlowski, OD, PhD. - Midwestern University / Arizona College of Optometry "to evaluate the therapeutic potential of telomerase-activating (TA) agents for treating dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD).”
- Community Health Worker Research and Evaluation. Sinai Urban Health Institute.
- Community Engagement and Medical School Student Education for Child Health Promotion. Southern Illinois University.
- Urban Medicine’s Longitudinal Community Rotation: Promoting Health/Preventing Disease in Urban Underserved Communities. UIC College of Medicine.
- Krill Oil for HIV-Related Inflammation. Rush University Medical Center.
- Development of a Lifestyle Medicine Curricular Thread for Medical Students. Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- HPV Vaccine Consent for Adolescent Girls. Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Diabetes Prevention in the Asian Community. Asian Health Coalition of Illinois.
- Universal Newborn Hearing Screening: Does Delayed Onset Limit Effectiveness? Children’s Memorial Hospital.
- Depression in Minority Populations in Chicago: Plans for a Progressive Solution. IOMC.
- Diabetes Prevention Project in the Asian Community.
- Addressing Depression in Chicago’s Minority Populations.
- Acral Lentiginous Melanoma: What Drives Progression – Biology or Behavior?
- Preventing human prostate cancer recurrence after radical prostatectomy by TGF-b-signaling based immunotherapy.
- Decrease occupational injuries and diseases in Chicago day laborers. University of Illinois Occupational Medicine.
- Effectiveness of a group intervention for health promotion among male stroke survivors. Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
- Facilitating Patient Safety through Resident Hand-off Training. University of Illinois.
- Increasing Awareness about Prevention and Risk of Ovarian Cancer. Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Funding to IOMC to partially fund a director and one staff person to coordinate the gathering and analysis of information on the multiple efforts ongoing to alleviate the disparity in health care delivery, especially to African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans and to search for more permanent sources of funding for such efforts.
- Investigate racial disparities in colorectal cancer initiation. UIC Medical Center.
- Study effectiveness of current HIV prevention messages in at-risk minority women in Chicago. Children’s Memorial Hospital.
- Association between serum uric acid, c-Reactive Protein, and Activin in hypertensive conditions of pregnancy. University of Chicago Hospitals.
- Chicago Obesity Project. IOMC.
- Pilot test of lifestyle physical activity intervention for caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease. Rush University Medical Center.
- Use of the time and change test in screening community dwelling elderly for dementia. University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford.
- Online program to educate medical residents and practicing physicians on patient safety. University of Illinois College of Medicine.
- Detection of biologic potential and metastatic markers of papillary thyroid cancer using DNA microarray. Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Patient-centered decision-making for PSA screening. University of Illinois College of Medicine.
- To determine the prevalence, distribution associations, and complications rate in decorative and cosmetic tattooing. University of Chicago.
- Genetic screening of Hispanic population for members of families with breast cancer, seeking “tracers” for that type of cancer.
- Investigation of a new test for colon cancer, possibly better than occult blood screen.
- Molecular profiling of Leukoplakias. Loyola University Chicago Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center.
- Role of FDG-PET imaging in the evaluation of patients with fine needle aspirations that are indeterminate or suspicious for thyroid cancer. Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- MRI screening for breast cancer. Rush University Hospital.
- Self-examination for melanoma. Loyola University Chicago Medical Center.
- Patient activation in early cancer detection. Cook County Hospital.
- Programs to educate physicians on prevention of colon cancer. University of Illinois.
- Effect of oral selenium on 8-Hydroxydeoxyguanosine formation. University of Chicago.
- Impacting cancer health behaviors in the Latino community: an educational and clinical intervention. Illinois Masonic Latino Cancer Institute.
- Study of 300 breast cancer patients’ records. MacNeal Memorial Hospital.
- Screening, early detection, education, and diet and health behavior modification for African-American men at risk for prostate cancer. Michael Reese Research and Education Foundation.